Week Reflection

This week was a lot of fun for me in the woodshop, I learned a lot and improved leaps and bounds in the woodshop. I started the week not knowing how to use the lathe and having no idea how to make a baseball bat. I am now very confident in my skills and knowledge of the lathe and baseball bats, I have learned how to change the diameters across the surface of the bat. I have learned that every part of the process impacts the final product that I end with. When starting the bat if you don't move slowly and with purpose, it can mess up what the bat will end up looking like.

My days have been filled with turning wood bats on the lathe but I've been doing a few other things for a change of pace. On top of my bats, I have also been making a pair of downhill skis with Josh Norris, so I will take time out of my day to cut fiberglass or sand the edges of the skis. Doing this helps break up my days that sometimes can feel monotonous. The other project I've been working on is putting the finish on my Adirondack chair, this process is long and a little boring but gives me a sometimes much-needed change of pace. 

I am planning on giving my baseball bats to my coaches and the other seniors on the baseball teams, so I want to paint them green and white, for a little Proctor customization. I have finished 3 bats so far and I am planning on making at least 4 or 5 more bats, and I am excited to see how they end up. One of the bats I have started working on is made out of Maple, my plan is to make this bat into a game bat that I can use over the summer. I worked a little over 30 hours last week and I can't wait to continue my project into next week and finish even more bats, as well as wrapping up my little side projects. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 6: May 13

Day 4: May 11